Friday, April 30, 2004

Rain, Rain Go Away

The time has been when I only had to pick up a book to get lost within it. I don't jump into such commitments easily anymore: maybe it's age, maybe it's experience.

I am looking back through the years, when I would have been chanting, "rain, rain go away". I recall envy. My babysitter's son had joined the Multiple Sclerosis Read-a-thon and he was a member of the Scholastic Book-of-the-Month club. I really wanted to do these things but, for some reason, my mother had said, "no." I think she mentioned that she did not have time or energy to make sure I would fulfill my responsibilities. Whatever her reasons, I was left in the cold.

As I aged, I threw myself into any book that would have me. Now, however, I know that life is short. We have to choose our reading battles and rainy days are good for such battles.

It has been raining nonstop this evening. I expect that it will rain tomorrow, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment