Saturday, June 25, 2005

Recent Acquisitions

My book-buying capacity is probably limited only by time. Over the past 9 days or so, I found these titles in different places and they all ended up beside me tonight.

The Breadwinner Trilogy - Deborah Ellis

The author is of local origin: Toronto.

From Publishers Weekly:

When the war in Afghanistan captured international headlines in October 2001, adults had trouble making sense of the reported images, the refugee situation and the plight of Afghan women under Taliban rule.


The Breadwinner Trilogy, bought in whole by myself on a trip last week, consists of these titles:

The Breadwinner

RL: 10-14
Paper, 170 pages
Groundwood Books, 2000
ISBN: 0-88899-416-8

Parvana's Journey
RL: 10-14
Paper, 199 pages
Groundwood Books, 2002
ISBN: 0-88899-519-9
Winner: Governor General's Literary Awards
Winner: Jane Addams Children's Book Award

All royalties from the sale of this book go to Women for Women (an international aid organization to benefit, in this case, the women of Afghanistan).

Mud City
RL: 10-14
Paper, 164 pages
Groundwood Books, 2003
ISBN: 0-8899-542-3


Hippos Go Berserk - Sandra Boynton

RL: 0-2
Board Book, 29 pages
Illustrated: Sandra Boynton
Simon & Schuster, N.Y., (1977,1996)
ISBN: 0-689-83434-9

"One hippo all alone calls two hippos on the phone."

This is the first of Sandra Boynton's books. I know that it's actually available in hardcover and paperback as well. (By the way, the author's site is attractive, playful and easily navigable.)

I actively sought, first the title, then the book itself. After watching an episode of E.R., many weeks ago, in which a character recites the verse over the telephone to her child, I assumed that I would find a book to which it belonged.

I read it almost nightly to my little one (who flashes an ear-to-ear grin as soon as she sees it). In her first year, I bought a Boynton board book, Moo, Baa La La La!(.) It turned out to be such a big hit that she still loves it at the end of her second year.


A Family Treasury of Little Golden Books: 46 Best-Loved Stories

RL: Ages 4-8
Hardcover, 174 pages
Edited: Ellen Louis Buell
Golden Books (1998)
ISBN: 0307168506

The cute, square-shaped Little Golden Book series. I own most of the originals but I would rather read this collection in order to avoid sullying them. This collection presents merely a fraction of the stories published in the 60 or so years of the series.


Oh, the Places You'll Go! - Dr. Seuss

RL: All Ages
Hardcover, 46 pages
Illustrated: Dr. Seuss
Random House, N.Y. (1990)
ISBN: 0-679-80527-3

"Congratulations! Today is your day. You're off to Great Places! You're off and away!"

I ordered this from the Children's Book-of-the-Month Club and it came with a cute tote bag. Apparently, I acted quickly enough because there were limited quantities. I have most of the original, vintage series and I wanted to fill in the blanks.

The Library of Congress Publication Data includes this fascinating blurb: "Advice in rhyme for proceeding in life; weathering fear, loneliness, and confusion; and being in charge of your actions."

Seussville is a nice place to visit but pack a lunch.


Pippi Longstocking - Astrid Lindgren

RL: Ages 8 - 11
Paper, 160 pages
Translated: Florence Lamborn
Illustrated: Louis S. Glanzman
Puffin Books (1950,1978)
ISBN: 0-14-240249-4

One of the reasons that I'm trying to catalogue my children's books is that I lose track sometimes of what books I own. I think I have the original (one of my childhood favourites) but I absolutely loved this new edition. The only complaint is that Pippi's crooked braids aren't shown on the cover. I have such vivid recollection of enjoying this story over and over again.

I did try to read it to my toddler last night but she was primarily interested in cuddling. It was one of my favourites while growing up. My experience in reading it this time was, naturally, radically different from when I was 6 or 7 years old: I discovered heart-tugging details about Pippi that, as a child, I had simply accepted as quirky characteristics.

This was found at the local shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment