Friday, July 01, 2005

The Antiquarian

My book collection is divided into, well, collections. One of my favourite collections is that of my books on antiques (antique, vintage, used and new). Books for the collector or dealer, by the collector or the expert, can date--in my collection--to the early 1800s. (I highly recommend the experience of reading about antique-collecting mores at the turn of the 19th century.)

Admittedly, I buy so many books that I sometimes forget about the purchase. I recently wrote about my findings at a local thrift shop that was closing and selling its children's books at 50% off the ticketed price. There were other genres, too, for sale.

One such forgotten--but not forgettable--relic is, The Collector's Progress (Revised Edition, 1971).

It was written by Stanley W. Fisher, an antique dealer, who was a member of the British Antique Dealers Association. The cover boasts the distinction of an authoritative look at the subject from the "dual viewpoint of collector and dealer." (It should be noted that there are, nowadays, several publications authored by the collector/dealer.)

As you would expect, the revised edition of this title is less collectible than the first edition (1957); at the time of publication, some thirty years ago, the original edition was considered a rare collector's item.

No comments:

Post a Comment