Sunday, August 21, 2005

Reading: Alexander McCall Smith

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Title: The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency
Author: Alexander McCall Smith
Publisher: Anchor Books (2003)
Format: Trade Paperback, 240 pp
Trim Size: 5.22 x 7.99 x 0.62 IN
ISBN: 1400034779
Series Title: The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency

Precious Ramotswe is an entrepreneur. She has created a detective agency in Gaberone, Botswana in order to "help people with the problems in their lives." As its proprietor, she avoids disappointing her clients. As a narrator, she paints a beautiful picture of an African country: the colours, the textures and the moments of personal history that fascinate as well as stir a sense of urgency in every question. We must solve her professional--and personal--puzzles.

My sister and I have decided to read this series together (and to share the books). I waited anxiously for her to finish this one and I even bought her the second title in the series as an incentive (Tears of the Giraffe).

It should take the whole of this week for me to finish since my opportunities to read are sporadic.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an intriguing book. And reading it with someone is quite fun also. Great idea and cool blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always been fascinated by Africa, especially after reading the great Tarzan books as a young boy growing up.

    One of my uncles had the original hardcover editions that he would rarely lend out and I had to spend many an afternoon discussing boring topics with him until I coax him to lend one of his precious editions (usually accompanied by detailed instructions on how to hold the books, turn the pages and so on).

    I don't think there are many books set in Africa these days and I will be sure to check this one out as the premise sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete