Saturday, November 19, 2005

Notes On An Article

I have to admit that I'm addicted to magazines, especially to The Walrus and to The New Yorker. In fact, the purpose of this blog has always been to catalogue my reading for future reference, etc. but, if you'll look at my list, the nonfiction component got away from me because that is how much I read. At any rate, in an attempt to put greater effort into recording my nonfiction reading, I want to note my reaction to an article by John Lahr.

The November 14, 2005 issue of The New Yorker is worth buying just for one particular article: "The Thin Man: How Steve Buscemi Became An Indie Icon." It traces the artist from his humble beginnings to his cult-status acting. It also discusses his quiet directorial prowess.

John Lahr's gift seems to be that he can place you so intimately before his subject that, at the end, you feel as if you have been welcomed into a warm and comfortable friendship. Reaching the end of the article feels like saying goodbye to the friends with the knowledge that you probably won't see them again.

(to be continued...)

No comments:

Post a Comment