Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Presently Reading:

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer. It's the author's second novel, the first being Everything Is Illuminated.

I made it a point to not read the first. I don't want to compare the novels yet and, had I read the first, I would automatically compare them while reading. (Better explanation: I didn't want to read the second book in the shadow of the first. Chalk it up to sleep deprivation blunting the ability to articulate.)

I sat on the front step of my house last night, waiting for K to come home so that we could go pick up Devyn from school together. As I sat and read, I burst into laughter twice within the first four pages. Considering that the predominant tone of the novel is created by an awareness of 9/11 and a personal history, I thought that this was quite an accomplishment.

Before I knew it, one hundred pages had sped by and I stayed up later than usual to keep reading it. At 6:00 this morning, K brought me coffee while he got ready for work and I read until Devyn woke up. With a good book, my behaviour changes. With a not-so-great read, I make no changes in routine to experience it. The last time this happened was with Camilla Gibb's Sweetness In The Belly (last month).

No comments:

Post a Comment