Thursday, June 25, 2009

Homemaking

In The Science of Homemaking (1962), we are advised to consider the following: "Now that you no longer have to make candles and soap, what part do you play in the life of your family?"

I could take a poll of my family! I've done something similar in the past -- asked Devyn what she thinks I do -- and it was fun. But, then, sometimes a poll just isn't necessary as I learned only moments ago.

--

A tiny voice surprises me in the quiet. "I love you."

I'm snuggling up to Molly, my just-turned-two toddler, as she goes to sleep; it's part of her bedtime routine. My heart jumps. What? Did she really just say what I thought she said? For the first time?

"I love you." She did. She did say it!

"I love you, too." I feel as if I'm the happiest I've ever been.

"Mummy . . . ?"

"Yes?" It's a warm-and-fuzzy, mother-and-child moment. Could this become a game of exchanging 'I love you' until we giggle? Maybe. But she seems serious.

"The house is messy."

"The house is messy?"

"Yes . . . The house is messy. Clean it up, please."

--
The Science of Homemaking - Ruth Binnie and Mary Adams (Toronto, 1962)

No comments:

Post a Comment