Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Notes / Molly's reading interests

Molly has never met a book she didn't like. Lately, however, she has bonded with an inexpensive encyclopedic series for older children; so, our conversations about them have caused me discomfort because she wants more information than I anticipated.

Holding a book on the human body -- which is illustrated in a colourful but standard way -- she asks me about a human figure: "What's this?" and "what's this?" she asks several times.

"Our bodies have skin, and under our skin are muscles, tendons, and bones. We call the collection and structure of the bones a skeleton," I try to explain, obviously flustered trying to keep up with her.

"I have skin and bones and muscles."

"Yes," I say, kind of relieved. I mean, she's two-and-a-half. She gets it.

"And intestines."

Huh?

"I have intestines." She rubs her abdomen.

The next book waiting for me (she's waiting for me) after I write this post is about ancient history.

No comments:

Post a Comment