Thursday, March 03, 2005

A Streetcar Named Desire - Tennessee Williams

I found it in a box while visiting my aunt's ancient farmhouse one summer.

The box was for me and I went to bed early every evening just so that I could peruse the books inside until the wee hours. I read Homer, Marquis de Sade, Tennessee Williams....I don't remember how old I was. I might have been 13 or 14. There was also D.H. Lawrence and some general-knowledge reference material.

I read it several times, in rapid succession. Maybe, it was 9 times in a row. Then, again when I was 16.

I honestly don't know why I enjoyed it so much.

Those were lazy days, thinking back. The peachy-pink sky, the quilt-like colour patches of crops for miles and miles. Corn stalks close by and a tree with a wooden swing.

I will re-read the play. Someday. Soon, even.

No comments:

Post a Comment