Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Coping

What do you do when grieving starts? Well, in our family, we head to a large bookstore and browse with the purpose of finding solace.

I developed this habit, this coping mechanism, as a girl of sixteen. When I married, my husband was quick to adopt the same.

Unfortunately, our beloved cat of 10 years passed away yesterday morning and we were laden with grief all day. We planned an evening trip to the bookstore (followed by swinging in the park.)

What soothes, obviously, has to be subjective. In general, I think it is finding a book that I have always wanted to read or finding one that wakens curiosity in an exciting way.

These were our finds:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Author: Gregory Maguire
Format: Trade Paperback, 466 pp
Published: Harper Collins Canada (October 1996)
Trim Size: 6.12 x 9.21 x 1.13 IN
ISBN: 0060987103

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Author: Jacqueline Wilson
Format: Trade Paperback
Published: CORGI (October 2004)
Trim Size: 5 x 7.55 in
ISBN: 0440863686

My husband found:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Author: Douglas Hofstadter
Format: Trade Paperback, 800 pp
Published: Basic Books (January 1999)
Trim Size: 6.43 x 9.25 x 1.42 in
ISBN: 0465026567

Nothing replaces grief but a good book can help to distract during the process.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your cat. The death of a pet is, always, so painful.

    I'm always looking for good book recommendations so I thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete