Tuesday, November 29, 2005

NYT: Berenstain Bears Author Dies

Stan Berenstain, who with his wife, Jan, churned out more than 250 books showing how the warm and fuzzy Berenstain Bears - Mama, Papa, Brother and Sister - confronted and learned from life's little crises, died on Saturday in Doylestown, Pa. He was 82.


A Choppy Reflection

I used to read their books to those I babysat when I was a teenager: book after book after...

Now, I watch the cartoon adaptation with my preschooler. She enjoys the Bears but definitely not as much as the cartoons that promote problem-solving and skill acquisition.

I've avoided the books so far because of the intended age range of the material and I haven't yet decided if they will figure prominently in Devyn's reading or not.

Both the books and the cartoon strongly moralize. To this point, I've actually agreed with the instruction in morality but I wonder if there will come a time when I disagree and will have to explain my objections.

At any rate, his contribution to children's literature certainly was considerable.

No comments:

Post a Comment