Tuesday, April 04, 2006

When At A Libary Book Sale...

If you're not a collector and, therefore, don't mind a picture book ex libris, grab any title by Kevin Henkes. He is, by far, one of my favourite authors of children's books. Yesterday, I found a copy of Chrysanthemum in much-greater-than-readable condition.

I also found Harriet, You'll Drive Me Wild! by Mem Fox. It's nice to have a copy of our own since, when we read it last year, we had borrowed from the library.

It was a nice surprise to find A Apple Pie by Kate Greenaway:

This classic ABC first appeared with Kate Greenaway's illustrations in 1886 and immediately met with considerable success in Britain, America and France.
The publisher's note describes the rhyme as very ancient and indicates an early reference to it in 1671 by John Eachard.

I also picked up quite a few works of nonfiction since I believe that my daughter's collection is lacking in this particular area: birds, electricity, house construction, etc.

For myself, I picked up some interesting titles but I'll have to list them later.

3 comments:

  1. I'll look all of these up. I'm always looking for good books for my daughter. I'm still trying to get her interested. The TV wins out way too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it hard introducing new books at certain times: when she gets "stuck in a groove" and I have to read the same book or two a million times; when Dora and Diego are speaking to her!

    I especially like Sheila Rae's Peppermint Stick by Kevin Henkes.

    http://bookmarksreading.blogspot.com/2005/09/sheila-raes-peppermint-stick.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll definitely look up Sheila Ray. Ellie gets stuck in ruts too, but I just keep trying. If I could only get her to be still...

    ReplyDelete