Monday, July 06, 2009

News from nature . . . Again!

We're sitting on the screen-enclosed porch today. It offers fresh air and shade. And chairs. And the kids can make as much mess as they want while crafting.

At any rate, I'm just about to click open my ereader copy of The Synaptic Self, when Devyn announces:

"Do you know that people use chemicals to get the honey from bees?"

"Huh?" I'm very focussed on opening a file and adjusting my computer on my lap.

"People use chemicals to make the bees sick."

"People do what? Why?" She's got my attention.

"So they can get the honey, of course!"

"But, who -- who does this?"

"The people who want to put honey in the grocery stores."

"Where did you hear about this?" I'm really shocked by her reportage. She doesn't watch much television.

"I don't know. I just know, I guess."

"How does it make you feel?"

"Sad, Mummy. Very sad."

To be honest, I don't even know if what she says is true or to what degree it might be accurate. I'll have to do some research. Each day, lately, however, brings news of some sort from the world of nature and conservancy. I admire her.

No comments:

Post a Comment