Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Awakening

I sigh and fold my arms. Fine. I glance at her eyes. They are black and white and brown. Like Devon's. I never noticed that before. I'm so surprised that I actually stare instead of looking away. 
Good! That's very good Caitlin! That's how you show people you're interested in them and that you're listening to them. Can you see how happy my eyes are right now? 
I nod. I'm still staring at her eyes or where her eyes used to be when she turns her head to look where she's walking. When she turns back I catch the eyes again and keep staring. I'm getting good at this.
Okay but you don't have to stare quite so hard or quite so long. 
I close my eyes. 
You can just look away briefly and then come back to my eyes again.
I do.  
Try to make it a little smoother so you don't look like you're about to jump on top of me when you stare into my eyes.  
See? It's too hard. 
But you did it! All we're doing right now is working on refinement. You just have to keep trying. It's all about finesse. 
Fin-NESS? 
Yes. 
I like that word. What does it mean? 
Doing something tactfully and skillfully while dealing with a difficult situation. 
I'm surprised that I'm only learning this word now. This word is all about me! 
(from Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine)

No comments:

Post a Comment