Sunday, January 10, 2010

Serendipity!

Back in my teen years, one of my best friends was from Lebanon.  I'm not sure how it came to be that I was always at their house but my favourite memories are somehow connected to the aroma of Mrs. T's cooking.  Sometimes, I was able to help prepare a meal; or, at least, pretend to help so that I could get an advance taste of the repast.

My favourite meal was dolmeh -- grape leaves stuffed with an aromatic ground meat mixture.

It just so happens that Pomegranate Soup by Marsha Mehran -- a book I'd requested for Christmas -- contains, in its prologue, the very recipe of my youth!

I'm overjoyed and I'm on a mission to find grape leaves.

2 comments:

  1. Great find... there's nothing like food to calm the soul and ground our memories. Good luck with the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, James! I think I've tracked down the grape leaves . . .

    ReplyDelete